In Quebec car insurance is mandatory. If you want to drive or park on public roads you’ll need at least the minimum coverage. If you do not have the minimum insurance required by law and are caught then a first time fine of $325, at the least is levied, if you are convicted. If you cause damage to another car while driving uninsured then your license is also suspended.
The good news is that Quebecers enjoy the lowest insurance rates in the country. Not surprisingly that goes hand in hand with having the greatest customer satisfaction as well. Right across the provincial border in Ontario are found the highest average premiums in the country. And Quebec premiums are lower than in Alberta too. Insurance regulations are not as strict in Quebec and there is good competition for your insurance dollar amongst the one hundred companies so that prices remain competitive.
When dealing with an insurance broker of agent it is important to be completely honest about your situation and answer any questions as clearly as you can. If you end up needing to make a claim there may be complications if the insurer finds that some information that comes up doesn’t match your policy. In the worst case your insurance may even be null and void.
Though the basic civil liability coverage minimum in Quebec is the lowest in the country at $50,000 most drivers choose $1,000,000. Civil liability coverage is for:
- damages caused by a collision for which the insured is not deemed responsible
- material damages and corporal injuries in out-of-province accidents
- damages to a 3rd party where the insured is deemed responsible
This coverage will take into account funeral expenses up to $5000, disability income equalling 90% of net income, medical payments, and impairment benefits of up to $230,000.
Optional coverage can cover a variety of damages to the insured car truck or motorcycle:
- All perils covers, as you’d guess, everything that both collision and comprehensive cover
- Collision covers damages to the vehicle in a collision or roll-over in an at-fault episode
- Comprehensive covers your vehicle if it is damaged by fire, vandalism, hail, water and wind or if it is stolen or the windshield breaks
- Specific Perils covers risks specified in an agreement between you and the insurer
Specific endorsements can be added to your insurance policy that expend your policy.
Change to loss payment or Endorsement 43 – in case of a total or partial loss of your vehicle, the insurance company calculates the cost of repairs to the damages to your vehicle or the cost of replacing it, without taking into account its value after depreciation.
Short-term rental of a vehicle or Endorsement 20 – covers the cost of vehicle rental for a specific time while your vehicle is in for repairs or until your vehicle is replaced.
Damage to vehicles not owned by the insured or Endorsement 27 – provides coverage if you damage a vehicle that you’ve borrowed from a friend or rented from a rental agency. This endorsement often provides better coverage than what you’d buy from a car rental company at time of rental.
Getting the cheapest car insurance quote in Quebec
As with other provinces there are many things you can do to improve your chances of getting a lower premium. Though Quebec auto insurance premiums are the lowest in the country it doesn’t hurt to get the lowest of the low.
- Buy your automobile insurance and your other insurance policies from the same company. “Bundling” insurance can result in significant savings.
- Increase your deductible.Use or install an anti-theft device in your car. Making your car lass vulnerable to theft will lower the theft insurance part of your premium.
- Some models are less likely to get stolen and less likely to be involved in accidents. Check this list to see if you’d like to switch to one that costs less to insure.
- Respecting traffic rules and driving carefully to avoid problems will eventually lower your rates.
- Finally, not all insurers are created equal. As mentioned above, huge savings can be realized by choosing the right insurance company, agent or broker. Some companies rely upon you not shopping around.